How to create and edit discount codes with notes on expiring and re-enabling codes.
imATHLETE gives you full control, 24/7, to create and manage your discount codes.
Creating Discount Codes
- Click Tools on the left side of your dashboard then click Registration Codes
- Click the Add New Discount button
- Create the code
— Code: enter a name of the code or leave blank and we’ll create one. Codes must be unique. You can do this by including the year or other features (e.g. Awesome5k2015)
— Description: Type anything that will help you remember the reason for the code.
— Type: see What are the different types of discount/coupon codes?
— Limit Code: indicate the number of times the code should be able to be used.
— Dollar Amount or Percentage: hopefully self-explanatory
— Start / Expiration Dates: the code can only be used within these dates. Leave blank to start today and not have an end date. The discount code will be valid beginning at 12:00 AM on the start date selected and will expire on 11:59 PM on the expiration date selected.
— Event Listing: the discount code will only work for the event(s) or classes selected.
Creating Class-Specific Discount Codes
Using a class-specific discount code is a great way to make sure a discount can only be applied to certain registration classes within your event. They come in pretty handy when you're looking to do something like encourage more folks to sign up for the 10k.
How to set it up
1. Click Tools on the left side of the page
2. Click Registration Codes
3. Click the Add a New Discount button, and set up your code:
- Code: You create a code if you'd like just keep it mind it must be unique, or leave it blank and we'll auto-generate a code for you.
- Description: Optional - you can add a description to describe the code
- Type: Choose Fixed Amount Discount
- Limit Code: You can leave the box checked to keep it unlimited, or uncheck the box and limit the number of times the code can be used
- Dollar Amount or Percentage Off: Enter your desired dollar or percentage discount
- Start Date: Optional - enter a start date for the code or leave it blank for it to start today
- Expiration Date: Optional as well
- Uncheck the box next to All Events
- Under Current Event Listing, choose the event this code can be used with
- Next to Let code be used for all Registration Classes choose No
- Under Only valid for this class select the valid classes (if you'd like to select multiple classes, just hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and select the other classes)
4. Click Save, and you're all set!
Class-specific discount codes can only be set up with the Fixed Amount code type. This means the discount must be a fixed dollar amount or percentage off the registration fee for the eligible class.
Fixed amount discounts can be applied per eligible item in the cart. For example, let’s say you set up a code with a limit of 5 uses that gives $10 off of a 10k registration. When I sign up both myself and my friend for the 10k and I enter the code, my cart will show $20 off ($10 for each instance of the event). If we used the same scenario, but the code was limited to one use, I would just see a $10 discount.
Editing Discount Codes
Want to modify the dates your discount code is valid? Change the number of times it can be used? Edit the events or registration classes it can be used with? Well, you're in the right spot. Editing a discount code is a easy as one, two, three. Probably easier, actually.
- First off, you'll need to log in to your dashboard
- From there, click Tools on the left sidebar
- Click Registration Codes
- Then, find the code you'd like to edit and double click it
- Enter the new code limit in the Limit Code box
- Click Save to update the limit
Can I import discount codes?
Unfortunately, we cannot import discount codes into your account. We can, however, bulk-generate unique codes and then send them to you. To request that we bulk-generate codes for you, you can contact your CSM or firstname.lastname@example.org, and we'll help get you set up with a list of unique discount codes.
In cases where you need a large number of discount codes for a deals site, we can bulk-generate discount codes for you. Keep in mind, if the discount code doesn't exist in your imATHLETE account, it won't work if an athlete tries to use it during online race registration for your event.
Information We Need From You To Generate Codes
- Number of codes needed
- Number of uses per code (this is typically 1, but you can allow multiple uses per code if you prefer)
- Discount Code Prefix (all discount codes will begin with the given prefix)
- Discount code amount. This can be for a dollar amount off registration or for a percentage off registration.
- Event the code can be used with
- Class(es) the code can be used with (e.g., 10K, 5K Run, 1 Mile Fun Run)
- Code Start Date (code will be active at 12:00 am on the date selected)
- Code Expiration Date (code will expire at 12:00 am on the date selected).
IMPORTANT! This is 12:00 am, as in the very first minute of the day. If you'd like the code to be available for the entire day, make the code expire on the following day.
There Are NO Bulk Edits
Once the codes are created, they cannot be bulk-edited, so you'll want to be sure all information is correct when you submit this to us unless you really enjoy manually editing hundred or thousands of discount codes. The good news is that we can cancel out an entire batch, so we can always cancel a batch and generate a new batch of codes with different information if you need.
Notes on discount codes:
- Once your discount code has been created, if the limit is lowered to fewer than the amount of codes that have been used, the code will deactivate and turn red
- Changing the expiration date to a past date will also deactivate the code
- If the limit of the code is raised to more than the number of codes used, the code will be re-enabled
- If the code has expired and you change the expiration date to a future date, the code will be re-enabled