Hello there. Before we get started, let's just make sure we're all on the same page regarding imATHLETE terminology (which may or may not be different than other companies):
EVENT = The overall event that is the sum of the races (e.g. The Greatest Events Weekend Festival)
SPORT = The individual races within an event (e.g. 5k, half marathon, sprint triathlon, etc.)
CLASS = Each registration option, oftentimes is the same as Sport above
CATEGORY = Segments within a Class, oftentimes the same as award categories (e.g. Age Group, Elite, Walk, Run)
OK, now that we got that out of the way, let's talk a little bit more about categories.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT CATEGORIES
- Categories are optional, you don't have to include them
- If you only have one category for your event (e.g. everybody is Age Group), no need to add one since it is somewhat irrelevant as everybody will be the same
- Think of categories as award groupings.
Still confused about categories? Include your timer in registration set-up and they can also help you determine what you need.
HOW TO SET UP CATEGORIES
- Go to Event Setup
- Click Classes + Categories (left side)
- Click Edit next to an existing Class (or learn how to create a new class here)
- Select your Categories
- Click Add Another Category to create a new one
Categories will appear in the order you enter them
WHERE DO CATEGORIES APPEAR IN REGISTRATION?
They are the first question participants answer once they enter registration