There's been a lot of discussion over the years about whether or not email will become obsolete. It may, it may not - only time will tell. But the fact remains that 1) our world is moving closer and closer to real time communication and 2) our email inboxes are filled with marketing messages and spam. With that said...
1. Guaranteed (or almost) 100% open rate. As opposed to email, where 60% is an overwhelming success.
2. Text is the mode of communication people rely on for quick conversation
3. Easier to integrate at packet pick-up
4. Sponsor upsell opportunities
5. Ability to easily inform everybody of last minute changes
6. Even if you don't use it now, the information is very valuable in the future (e.g. next year you can text participants when registration opens)
-Texting out bib numbers
-Sending out other important race weekend reminders
-Sending past participants a discount code to register for the event
-Sending past participants a note letting them know that registration is open
-Sending participants a thank you note after the event (could include a link to a survey)
-Reminding participants they can still make donations or purchase race merchandise after the event (depending on event settings)
Voila! You're now collecting mobile info. Check out this Oscar nominated* short film about it
(*Oscar works in our offices)