First and foremost, don’t panic. Remain calm. All will be good. ; )
The best way to stay in the good graces of your participants is to act quickly and decisively. Participants will be comforted if they know 1) why it is cancelled and 2) how you are reimbursing them. Here are the steps you need to take with imATHLETE.
Step 1. Turn Off Registration
Step 2. Decide On A Refund Strategy (See also imATHLETE Event Cancellation Refund Program)
Step 3. Let Participants Know
Step 4. Get Event Revenue Report from imATHLETE
Step 5. Refund Participants
Step 6. Let Participants Know Again
Here are the details
Step 1. TURN OFF REGISTRATION
From your main Dashboard, underneath the relevant event name, click the “Change” link (next to the registration close date)
- On the Classes + Categories page, click “edit” next to the first Class
- On the Price Levels tab, change the end date for each price level to a date in the past
- Click Save
- Repeat the previous three steps for all other Classes + Categories
OK, registration is closed. Let’s go to step 2…
Step 2. DECIDE ON REFUND STRATEGY
We *highly* recommend you refund your participants. It’s good business practice and, frankly, good karma - if that’s something you believe in. Assuming you’ll refund, you’ve got a couple of choices: a) refund only the entry fee or b) refund both the entry fee and the service fee.
We recommend just refunding the entry fee. It will cost you less money and people won’t complain about not getting the service fee back. Or, rather, only a very small handful of people will complain about that and you can just send them the additional few dollars.
Step 3. LET PARTICIPANTS KNOW
Put wording on your imATHLETE event page
- From your dashboard, click edit next to the relevant event name
- Click Details (left side of page)
- In the first part of the Event Overview section, type “This Event Is Cancelled. Refunds will be sent out within the next 2-4 weeks. For more information contact [your email address]”. You can also include additional info on why the event is cancelled.
Send an email to your participants letting them know it’s been cancelled and letting them know they’ll be getting a refund.
Did you collect text message information from your participants during registration? If so, from your dashboard click “Text Messenger” (left side of page) and send everybody a text letting them know it’s cancelled.
Step 4. GET EVENT REVENUE REPORT FROM imATHLETE
- Contact RDSupport@imATHLETE.com and let us know that your event has been canceled.
- Click “Reports” on the main Navigation bar
- Scroll down to “Other Reports” and select “Event Revenue Report”
- Select your event and the registration dates, then download the report
This will let you know how much each person paid. NOTE: Look at the Billing Information to know who should be refunded. Often the person who pays is different than the person participating.
Step 5. Refund Participants
Step 5a (events covered by the Event Cancellation Refund Program). REFUND PARTICIPANTS If your event is covered by the Event Cancellation Refund Program, and is cancelled due to covered reason, and cannot be rescheduled within 90 days, fill out this Claim Form.
Step 5b (events with <20 participants). REFUND PARTICIPANTS
- Go into Participant Details for the relevant event
- Click 1x on the first person’s name so the row is highlighted
- Click the “Cancel / Refund Participant” link that appears on the top of the page
- Select “Refund and Cancel”
- Fill out the form and click Save.
- Repeat steps 2-5 above for the rest of the participants.
Refunds will be initiated and processed to their cards within 5-10 business days.
Step 5c (events with >20 participants). REFUND PARTICIPANTS
Contact RDSupport@imATHLETE.com, let us know the event is cancelled and that you’d like imATHLETE’s help in refunding the participants.
Step 6. LET PARTICIPANTS KNOW AGAIN
There’s no such thing as “too much communication” when it comes to participants and canceled events. Why not send them another email/text letting them know that refunds have been initiated and that they’ll have the money back within 1-2 weeks.